To the Editor:
As the provincial election campaign begins in earnest, I believe there are some very important questions that Thompson residents need to be asking of NDP candidate Danielle Adams.
We all are probably aware that the NDP leader Wab Kinew has signed the LEAP manifesto. This is a document that calls for the end of fossil fuel use and resource extraction. Whether Wab intends to implement the LEAP manifesto or not, his signing sends a very negative message to any company currently existing or looking to invest in Manitoba's energy and resource sector. That brings me to the following questions for Ms. Adams:
1. Do you support the LEAP manifesto?
2. If elected and your leader tries to implement the LEAP manifesto, thus ending the mining sector in Manitoba, will you vote in favour of this in the Legislature?
3. Are you in favour of the Liberal carbon tax?
4. How will the NDP help families if Wab's 50 cents a litre increase to gasoline through his proposed level of carbon tax is voted in?
5. Will the NDP guarantee that this carbon tax would be returned 100 per cent to Manitobans and not be used to balance the books?
6. After being voted out three years ago with the historically worse finish in Manitoba history for a sitting government, why should voters trust the NDP now?
7. Can you guarantee you will not raise taxes and run a balanced budget?
8. The NDP have stated they will create 50,000 jobs. Will that be done without ballooning the civil service of Manitoba?
9. How will the NDP support the City of Thompson if Wab's policies create an end to the mining industry here?
Some tough questions, but these absolutely have to be asked.